In the ceiling fans industry, Hunter ceiling fan is a reputed brand. Their models are reliable because they are of great quality. However, like all other electrical appliances and equipment, Hunter ceiling fans may cause several problems.
So, what is the reason why a Hunter ceiling fan not working?
The problem can be with the circuitry including a tripped breaker, faulty wiring, broken switch and so on. Or it can stop working if the remote is not working. And lastly, the problem could be with the fan itself.
This guide will allow you to find out the cause of the malfunctioning Hunter ceiling fan and how to fix the problem.
What Can Cause a Hunter Ceiling Fan to Malfunction?
There are a lot of causes that can cause a Hunter ceiling fan to stop working, including circuit problems to a malfunctioning fan. We will go through some of these possibilities now.
1. Faulty Circuitry:
A faulty wiring is a common problem that can cause a Hunter ceiling not to work.
During the installation process, if the wiring was not secured, the wires could move away from the connections or terminals, resulting in the ceiling fan to stop working.
2. Tripped Breaker:
You need to ensure that the power breaker is not tripped. Firstly, find out which circuit is begin used to power the ceiling fan.
After that, go through the main panel, and observe the breaker for that circuit has been tripped or not.
A GFCI outlet on the circuit can also stop the fan from functioning and it could be the culprit.
If you are using GFCI outlets on the same circuit, observe to ensure that they are not tripped.
3. Broken or Damaged Switch:
The broken or damaged switch could also prevent the flow of electricity. So, it is your duty to ensure that switch is functioning as it needs to be.
In many instances, the main cause could be a low-quality or cheap switch behind the issues of electrical appliances.
1. Empty Batteries:
Drained or empty batteries could be the culprit behind a Hunter fan remote not working. So, you have to ensure that the batteries of your Hunter remote are good enough to perform the remote function.
2. Unpaired Remote:
Some models of Hunter have to be paired to the remote to function properly.
So, it is necessary to ensure that the remote and the fan are synced with one another.
The company has different types of remotes that come with the fan and need different settings to pair it. You need to follow the right instructions to pair the fan.
To do that, here is our helpful guide on how to program a Hunter ceiling fan remote.
3. Defective Receiver:
At times, the cause can be the receiver box that is within the fan. But before you start with the receiver, the first thing is to ensure the ceiling fan is not connected to any power supply.
Ceiling Fan Malfunctions:
1. Physical Barriers to Fan Blades:
You need to find out if there is any sort of object or item that is obstructing the blades of the fan and stopping it from rotating.
If that is the case, remove it. Sometimes something can get stuck between the blades and the fan’s body, and prevent it from spinning.
2. Motor Issues:
At times, the motor of a ceiling fan also burns out and restricts it from functioning completely. In this case, you have to get a replacement for it.
It is very hard to retrieve burnt-out motors. But it hardly happens and the last resort is to troubleshoot your fan.
Before you finalize anything, you need to ensure properly there are no other problems.
How to Troubleshoot a Hunter Ceiling Fan?
There are some simple steps in order to fix a Hunter ceiling fan. But the fixes are different as per the problem. Let’s see some of the troubleshooting.
If the problem is with the circuitry, here are the instructions you need to follow to proceed with the solutions.
Steps to Troubleshoot Problems Related to the Circuit:
- The first thing is to ensure the switch is switched on and the power breaker is not tripped.
- Use a voltage tester, a non-contact voltage tester is suggested. And inspect that the voltage is present in the positive terminal of the Hunter fan.
- If there is no voltage, it could be the issue of the circuit.
- Make sure the switch has a voltage in it.
- If the circuit breaker is not tripped and the switch is not getting voltage, there is a problem with the wiring or with the switch.
- Make sure the wiring is working.
- If so, change the switch.
- Otherwise, it will be essential to rewire the circuit.
But if there is no problem with the circuits and they are working properly and you are unable to locate an issue, you need to check the remote control.
Follow these steps in order to troubleshoot a Hunter ceiling fan remote.
Fixing the Hunter Fan Remote:
- Ensure that the batteries are working to operate it.
- Change the batteries if required.
- Check if the Hunter fan is paired with the controller. As every remote and fan comes with a different method of pairing, it is recommended that you go through the manual of your specific fan.
- If they are not synced, pair them. And it will fix the problems related to a Hunter remote.
Lastly, we are going to get rid of the problems regarding the fan itself. But before you start troubleshooting your hunter fan, you need to check that the remote and the circuitry are working appropriately.
Troubleshooting a Hunter Ceiling Fan:
- The first thing is to ensure that the motor reversing switch is not stopping midway.
- Switch off the current from the circuit breaker.
- Use a voltage tester to ensure that there is no voltage.
- To get access to the wires, loosen the canopy.
- Different units come with different wiring diagrams. These diagrams are available in the user manual of that specific model. An example of this kind of diagram is in the above picture.
- The next thing is to ensure that the wire connections of your ceiling fan are similar to the diagram in the manual.
- If they are not, rewire them to fix them.
- If the problem is still present, the motor could be the reason. Although it hardly happens, if that is the case, you need to replace it.
If your Hunter ceiling fan stops working, there are some solutions that can be used to fix it. Hopefully, you will be able to fix your ceiling fan with the above methods and it will start functioning again properly.
Related Read: Hunter Ceiling Fan Wiring
We have tried our best to list the possible reasons that cause a Hunter ceiling fan not working. And we have also given the step by step guide on how to fix those problems. However, if you are unable to find the problem, do not be reluctant to call a professional. As the underlying issues are hard to find out and you will not be able to determine them without contacting a professional.
Nelda Cauley says
My Hunter ceiling fan stopped working. It’s only 45 years old. I have used it almost every. I’m thinking I probably should just get a new one. After looking online my best guess is the capacitor is the problem. Yes it’s really 45 years old and just now stopped working.
Mike Crame says
I have a Hunter fan that’s less than 2 years old and stopped working. The light still goes on but the fan doesn’t. At first I thought someone pulled the chain to turn it off instead of the switch but that didn’t work.