- Never try to remove a moving fan, always turn it off completely before you get started.
- Disconnect the wiring from the ceiling fan and confirm that there is no power flowing through them. To cover the wiring, use wire caps or electrical tape.
- Get rid of the light bulbs if any, shades that are attached to the fan beforehand in order to access the screws with ease and make the unit less heavy.
Ceiling fans often become dirty because they tend to gather a lot of dirt while rotating for a long duration. You might need to fix the fan because the fan is malfunctioning or you may want to replace your Hunter unit. So, you need to know how to remove a hunter ceiling fan.
The steps to remove a Hunter ceiling fan from your ceiling are simple. The steps you need to take are turning off the breaker, removing its accessories and equipment, removing the blades and canopy trim ring, disconnecting the wiring and in the end, unscrew the fan.
This article is a step-by-step guide that you need to follow to remove your hunter ceiling fan and it will also guide you how to take down a hunter ceiling fan with no screws.
How To Remove A Hunter Ceiling Fan
Often you may want to take down a ceiling fan to fix or clean. Thus, this article will help you to know how to take down a fan professionally.
Step 1. Turn off the Circuit Breaker
The first step to removing a ceiling fan is to disconnect its power source and it is the most important step. You should never take down a ceiling fan when it is connected to electricity as it could cause serious accidents and electrical hazards.
How to switch off the circuit breaker?
- Find the main panel of your home.
- Open the main breaker panel and locate the circuit breaker which gives power supplies to the ceiling fan you are about to take down.
- Flip the breaker’s switch.
- Check the LED indicator of the unit to make sure that the power has been turned off.
- If there are no indications, you can simply use the switch of the fan to determine if it turns on or not. If the fan does not turn on, it means that you have switched off the power successfully.
Step 2. Removing Accessories and Equipment from the Fan
You should remove the light bulbs and shade the ceiling fan in advance, to avoid breaking and make the removal process easier for the owner.
It also gives you access to the screws which keep the ceiling fan in a proper way.
How to remove accessories?
- Firstly, ensure that you have turned off the ceiling fan completely.
- Use a ladder or a stool, that helps you to reach the appropriate height to proceed with the operations easily.
- Remove the bulb to avoid any damage. Unscrew them and put them on any soft material.
- You may need gloves to remove these bulbs as they might be heated due to their use.
- The fixture of the ceiling fan, or the primary housing where the wire is kept, will be held together using a few visible screws. Remove the screws with the help of a screwdriver to release the fixture and allow access to the cables.
- Secure the screws and the detachable fixture component unless you rejoin them.
- Find a little nut on the exterior of the fixture. To get access to the pull chain switch of the ceiling fan, unscrew this nut. Keep the nut in a safe place since you’ll need it when you reinstall the switch.
If you are getting a problem and your Hunter fan remote not working, you need to check the batteries to ensure they are working. If the remote is still malfunctioning after replacing the batteries, you may need a new one and you can get it here.
Step 3. Removing the Fan Blades and Trim Ring
If you want to make the fan less heavy and to make it easier to work with, you need to remove the fan blades first along with the canopy trim ring. The question arises how to remove a Hunter ceiling fan trim ring? You need to follow the steps given below.
How to remove the ceiling fan blades?
- You require a ladder to get altitude to access the ceiling fan.
- The blades are screwed to the main body of the fan securely. Use a screwdriver and remove them after identifying the screws.
- Keep the blades of the fan safely aside as they are usually quite sharp.
- Save the screws in a safe place as you will definitely need them when you put the fan blades back on.
- You should use thick gloves for the sake of safety due to the sharpness of the blades and they might cut your fingers.
- To unlock the blade on units containing the Easy Lock system, open the locking mechanism on the blade iron and turn it counterclockwise.
How to remove the trim ring?
- Find the canopy trim ring which encompasses the top part of the canopy.
- Use both of your fingers to squeeze the ring firmly.
- Keep pulling firmly downward with many points.
- You need to apply pressure until the ring pops off.
- If your hunter fan model contains multiple canopy trim rings, use the same method to remove all of the trim rings.
Step 4. Disconnecting the Wires from the Ceiling Fan
Before removing the ceiling fan from the ceiling, the next step is to disconnect the wires connected to it. This step is imperative in order to know how to take down a hunter ceiling fan as removing the fan while being connected to the wire can cause damage to the fan as well as the wiring.
How to disconnect the wires from the fan?
- After getting rid of all the covers and fixtures, you will be able to access the wires.
- First, ensure that the wires contain no electricity.
- Use a voltmeter or a non-contact voltmeter to check it.
- To cut the wires, use wire cutters or pliers.
- Apply electrical tape to the stripped wires, to prevent them from interacting with the other elements and causing any sort of electrical hazards.
If you are curious to know about the blue wire on a ceiling fan, it depends on the switches that can be used to control the ceiling fan whether you are going to use one or two switches.
Step 5. Unscrewing the Ceiling Fan
The last step to remove a hunter ceiling fan is to unscrew it from the hook that keeps it attached to the ceiling. However, if you want to know how to install a hunter ceiling fan with a remote, you need to learn more steps.
How to unscrew the fan?
- As a pivot, utilize the tabbed screw, swing the canopy away from the mounting bracket.
- Unhook the installation-safety J-hook that enables the canopy and motor to hang freely from the mounting bracket loop, if appropriate.
- Unscrew the last screw that attaches the canopy to the mounting bracket securely.
- Get rid of the ceiling plate from the outlet box and disconnect the mounting bracket from the ceiling plate.
In this article, we have added the steps that are required to complete the procedure of how to remove a hunter ceiling fan. By following this step-by-step guide, taking down a hunter unit will be an easy task that can be done by yourself.
However, before engaging with electricity and sharp edges of the fan blades, you should get the appropriate safety gear in order to keep yourself safe and prevent any kind of accidents.
After taking down the Hunter unit, you may want to know how to install Hunter ceiling fan to install the new fan.